Thursday, January 24, 2008

Some correspondance with BP

Here are my letters to BP Yesterday and extracts of the responses:

This first one was after getting a HELD status from the 49th application. I sent it via BP's online web form:

Hi there

For my 49th Application for ADSL I submitted an application to your company this morning at 10:59am it was given a Order Completion / Activation Date of 06 Feb 2008 but hit the HELD status by 1:30pm this afternoon. How long will it take before I can get ADSL where I live! I've been waiting over 7 months now (29th of Jan will be 8 months). I have been trying to obtian an ADSL as NextG does not suit my needs as an IT Desktop Support Officer at the [edit out my place of work]. It would cost me at least $2000 a month to use.

As you are aware this waiting for ports does not have any watiting lists and therefore each time I get a rejection I MUST resubmit as a port may become available at anytime -we, the public, have no idea when a port becomes free or released from the 180-182 withholding status.

49 applications and 7 plus months must show you how much I need this connection! I can't believe it's looking like it's going to take a year to happen.

Can this be escalated and reviewed ASAP?

Details:

phone/service for ADSL 03 97xxxxxx
email contact : [snipped>
last order number: DN115xxxxx


This is becoming beyond a joke.

I hope for a conclusion to this matter as soon as possible.

No cable, no wireless (Nextg doesn't work and it's not what i need), dial-up at 31.2K and inconsistent and crappy QoS

Regards


From BP (extract from the email):

appreciate you taking the time to email us, my name is [the consultants name] I understand your concern in relation to obtaining an ADSL service, and apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced as a result.

I have reviewed your previous email [my real name] and I am very sorry to hear of the frustration you have had to endure, trying to obtain an ADSL service. I acknowledge that you have attempted an incredible amount of times for our service as you require an internet connection for your occupation.

It is with regret that I advise there is nothing more we are able to do. Like yourself, we are unable to determine when ports are/will be made available. Customers cancel and sign up everyday

My response to this was:

Hi [consultants name]

So there is nothing that can be done to remedy this situation? Is that
what your email is implying? I find that rather outrageous! You can not
help a potential customer obtain an ADSL port or give an indication of
when they are likely to obtain an ADSL?

48 ports are on my CMUX/RIM and it has not been updated since at least
2004. More houses have been built and more people have moved in yet
your company or your sister company has failed in supplying access to
affordable ADSL broadband to a new estate. It's more frustrating with
the 180-182 rule basically making it impossible for a new house obtain
ADSL broadband as when the disconnect port goes into to the held port
it's more likely to go to a new own of the house that got disconnected
than one of us who have been waiting months or years!

You have no idea how insanely stressful it is trying to obtain ADSL in a
new estate. I know this is a HUGE problem that isn't been attended to
and is getting bigger with everyday.

You're the only company (or your sister/parent company Telstra) with
infrastructure in our estate and it in inadequate for us. 48 ports on a
DA, all fully taken and not one person can get ADSL at the moment. It's
been like this for more than 7 months.

This has got to be a joke in 2008!

Unbelievable situation - is this to make us use nextg? I wonder about
this as it shows lack of future proofing or understanding of local
demand for ADSL in my area.

Again I find it unacceptable that in a large number of new estates we
have this continual problem.

*sigh*

Regards


Which recieved the following reply:

I appreciate your disappointment at not being able to receive ADSL at your location.

Telstra wants to invest in the next wave of internet infrastructure, a fibre-based high-speed broadband network to deliver speeds beyond the capabilities of ADSL and other current networks to Australians. That is why we have launched the Broadband Australia Campaign, BACK Telstra.

Our website www.nowwearetalking.com.au is your opportunity to find out more about the state of broadband services in Australia, and gives you the opportunity to learn more about the campaign. You can also sign up to become a Telstra Active Supporter and play your part in ensuring access to a high-speed broadband service for Australians. For further information, please use the below link.

http://www.nowwearetalking.com.au/Home/Default.aspx

Once again Peter
[NOT my real name at all], I’m sorry that we are unable to assist you further. I’m confident your future experiences with us will be more positive.

Yours Sincerely,

I'm not confident especially when BP uses Cut/paste methods to compose emails to customers!
as I've put in square brackets Peter is NOT my name at all though the email did have it address to my real name.

Since that email I have replied again with:

Hi [consultants name]

I'm fully aware of Telstra's "new wave of internet infrastructure" and the FTTN debate going in many circles but at the moment that is all just talk and no action. I've posted about 5-6 posts to the www.nowwearetaking.co.m.au and even asked where is the proof of the rollout been prepared? At this stage it's all talk and not a signed sealed, iron clad agreement or even SLA showing exactly what is planned and how it's going to eventuate!

It'd been another 5-10 years away as all that is going on at the moment is fighting between Telstra, ACCC and the government over things that may or may not affect the future of Broadband. Until this fighting stops and your company (Telstra, Telstra Wholesales; etc) get on with the job it's just going to be a pipe dream.

We need a form of broadband now that is viable, reliable and affordable right now! Your so-called "alternative network" does not fit the bill. It's expensive and had the lowest quotas for super users such as myself. 3 gig at $110 plus $150 per a gig after is NOT in my books afford "viable solution" as has been put to me by some of your companies reps I've dealt with in the past.

I'm composing this email before work at work because I know my home dial-up is unreliable and drops out are to often! I know that it's been choked due to the CMUX to around the 31.2K mark it's virtually unusable. It's irritating to use and S L O W. I can't use VPN, remote desktop, or even update my dual boot systems. Oh and forget Linux based OS systems! (That which I WAS is the process of relearning at home!) Even just surfing the web is incredible painful - hit that reload button a lot!

We just need Telstra Wholesales to add ports to my local CMUX (DA147 Melton) or better yet install an ISAM...

I can't believe that since 2005 there has been no upgrade to my CMUX to future proof it for incoming households - as stated before the 180-182 day rule does make things harder....

Oh and the problem I am having is not just happening in my estate. It's bigger than you think, way way bigger. For example the problem is currently existing in Narre Warren, Point Cook, Wyndham (part of Werribee, Victoria), and another Melton estate area and that's the ones I know of is Victoria! It's happen in all new estates across Australia - got look at the ADSL Capacity excel sheet at http://www.telstrawholesale.com/products/docs/access_broadband_adslex03.xls
And look up these area and others and get a picture of what is really happening out there. Remember to discard main exchanges in the areas as they may have ports which is still no good to us people behind CMUX//RIMs. Note: CMUX/RIMs with limited ADSL ports are STILL been deployed daily in new estates.

In closing, [consultants name], I'd like to point that in your last correspondence you must of not proof read your reply to me before sending as I can see the last paragraph -like many paragraphs in email from Big Pond I received over the 7+ months - is a cut and paste job as you have left the name Peter in it from your last usage of the copy/paste paragraph.

Also I will continue my fight for ADSL as it is something I do require for my job and upgrading of skills. I intend to take this to the media next and some notable PC magazines. This should not have reached 50 applications or 7+ months in the first place.


Regards


Now waiting for anymore correspondence....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop whining, you can get broadband today if you wanted to, but it appears you do not actually want it. No one has to give you ADSL.

mordie said...

TM32, And how am I meant to get Broadband today? I'm looking at the possiblity of wireless through a unknown compnay but it's going to set me back upto $700 for the first month including setup costs and it's only 512/128 speed at $88 for 12 gig (upload/download combined) and it may have latceny issues. I'm still waiting a response from the company to a few questions I have raised.

My phone line is ADSL compatiable but no ports on the CMUX/RIM ..Telstra have the only network in the estate - no one else can provide a viable and reliable broadband solution to me or anyone else.

As for one one having to give me ADSL maybe the USO the government is so out of touch that it NEEDS to be reviewed as soon as possible. This is the USO that states 28.8K is the min speed broadband as to be. Scarey, very scarey ...

So families are been forced onto expensive "alternative" network solutions just to tried them over until the no ports issue is fixed. Mind you I bet that once they are on this network they have brush them off for any fix to the ports issue saying they already have Broadband.

I can't stop whining as it's sadly the only way that anyone will take notice of the bigger problem out there ...

If they can't help us in the metro areas, God help the regional ones!!!

Anonymous said...

you can get satellite, or NextG so you can get broadband if you want it. You should realise not everyone will ever be able to get ADSL due to technical reasons

other ISP's can provide you with broadband if they wish

If they do introduce a broadband USO it will not say you must get ADSL...

mordie said...

TM2,for your suggestions of satellite and NextG I am going to spell out why they are not viable solutions to my broadband issues:

For the following examples I am using the need quota of atleast 12-16 gig of data a month. That would be the bear min I'd be looking at. with speeds atleast 512/128

--Satellite 1 way and 2 way--

Highest plan on 512/128 is $249.95 a month with a quota of 2Gb and excess fees of 15c mb (roughly $150 a Gb)

That's going to cost about $249.95 + $1500 (excess fees) to $249.95 + $2100 (excess fees) a month ...

**hardware and installation setup is 1,098.00

##There are no discounts for Broadband connect anymore.

--NextG--

Highest plan costs $109.95 for 3 Gb then .15c a mb after (or $150 per 1GB)

NextG would cost: That's going to cost about $109.95 +$1500 (excess fees) to $109.95 + $2100 (excess fees) a month ...

**setup cost is $250 for the modem

## Does not work correctly in our area as my neigbour across the road from me as had nothing but trouble with it

--------------
I do realise not everyone will ever be able to get ADSL due to technical reasons but I've been told in my case my line IS ADSL campatiable and all that is needed is an ADSL port on the CMUX. I've had this confirmed many times.

Which ISPs can provide me with Broadband? names please because I'd like to call them.

I seriously doubt there are any as the estates telephony infrastructure is Telstra's and they doesn't seem to like sharing their network with others.

There is NO cable in the estate.

The USO should be revised to atleast give people more tham 28.8K regulated speed! USO should have added that 128-512K or higher be a broadband grade speed. Also should say if ADSL is possible in areas then all possible means should be used to try and give it to customers.

Also Telstra should ditch the 182 day rule.

Anonymous said...

Any ISP can give you broadband if they want to, but they choose not to invest as they will not get a suitable ROI. The same as you now can get broadband if you want to, but you have decided you do not really need it.

Even if the USO was revised that would not change anything with you, as you can now get broadband, but you have decided not to.

mordie said...

::sigh:: There is no other ISP that can give me afford, viable broadband. You think I choose not to get a connection? I've spent 8 months trying to get a broadband connection to my house. I did reseach to see if there are any other possiblities once I found out I couldn't just get it.

What ISPs do you know that has successfully been able to access Telstra hardware /backhaul to give access to it's customers? As I've explained before it's been tried and the response was "no free room" to allow the interlooping of system to gain access. That's all that they need to say.

I want broadband but noot at $2000+ a month that's way more than my budget limits (or of any family).

At the present moment I can't get afford broadband. If you can give me a HUGE payrises then I can afford it...

::sigh::

Anonymous said...

No, you have spent 8 months trying to get ADSL, you can get broadband anytime you want to. You can get 2-way satellite for $139 a month for 10gig

mordie said...

Hi TM32, I've put in a request to see if I can get the Subsidy under the Australian Broadband Guarantee and an information pack. While this might be a goood solution there maybe latceny issues with satellite and problemswhen there is rain about -and been in victoria Winter it does rain (normally :P) ...

Atleast it might be a good workaround until they add more ports. I'll see what happens - can take 7-21 business days to setup; etc.

btw that plan you mentioned is $139.95 or $140 :P but atleast there are cheaper shaped plans listed.